(front to back, left to right) Boo, Teen2, Spanky, Blonde, Ducky, Teen1

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Momma, when you left me, I cried inside.... just a little

Today was the first day of first grade. For some reason, today was harder on Boo than the first day of Kindergarten. Don't get me wrong, she was excited. She looked thru last years class book and make her "wish list" of girls she wanted in her class. She went thru her old and new clothes and created the outfit below..... check out those high heels, LOL. She just had to have those shoes. And actually, she walks pretty good in them.




Anyway, back to school...

This year, big brother is not in her building anymore. Actually I am homeschooling him because he is not ready for Jr. High in the maturity dept. So poor Boo had to go to school alone for the very first time.

She didn't want to ride the bus so I drove her. As we neared the school, she quietly asked.... "Where do I go when I get to the school", "What if I get lost, last year Ducky took me to my class the whole first week".

We get to school and they kindly allowed me to walk her to her classroom door. Her eyes were glassy with tears but none were falling. I hugged her and she turned away from me, gulped a big breath, threw her shoulders back, and marched in the room.

After school, the woman guarding the door (to make sure kids only left with their parents), didn't want to let Abby come to me.... She kept telling Boo to wait for her Mommy. Boo kept pointing to me. Finally, I walked up to the woman and let her know that even though I was not Asian, I was her Mommy. The poor woman was so embarrassed. I told her it was OK and not to worry, she was doing a good job watching over so many kids waiting to be picked up.

As we walked to the car, talking about her day. Boo loved school, then stopped and looked so serious as she said, "Mommy, I need to tell you, I cried when you left me, just a little, and not on the outside where anyone could see. I cried on the inside. Was that OK? No one made fun of me or called me a baby. Is it OK if I cry inside when I miss you?".

Ms. Mommy wanted to cry on the outside. How to answer her? I want her to feel free to cry on the outside, whenever she needs to... but after raising 5 other kids, I also know her instinct about teasing is dead on.... kids are brutal.

So Ms. Mommy told her it is always OK to cry when you need to, on the inside and out, and I left it at that.... Boo then asked if it would be OK if we stopped to get an ice cream for herself and all the other kids.... since it was the first day of school and all..... Well how can a Mom say no after hearing the 'crying inside where no one could see" story. Ice cream for all....
We arrive home and Mr. Daddy is on the front porch, waiting for his kids to get home. Boo runs up with her ice cream and proudly gives Mr. Daddy his.... then tells him about the door helper not believing I was her Mommy. Daddy didn't miss a beat... he said, "Didn't she think your Momma was pretty enough to be your Mommy". Boo, equally as quick said, "Daddy, you know Mommy was not born in Vietnam". And with a giggle she was off to get the camera so I could photograph her feet in those high heels, which she claims are the envy of all the girls in her class, so I could email them to her Pappaw.

Crying a bit inside and out as my last baby grows wiser and more mature each day.... been there... doing that.

No comments: